Our sports physiotherapists strive to optimise injury assessment, management and prevention, as well as athlete recovery. They aim to minimise injury threat and optimise performance by putting into practice evidence-based knowledge and skills, not only during rehabilitation, but also during training and performance testing of elite athletes. They are closely collaborating with coaches and other care providers, in order to ensure an optimal return to performance, and seek to respond to the unique needs of the athletes and their sporting environment.
1. In case of injury
- Immediate processing and management of urgent demands for physiotherapy services.
- Provision of a functional evaluation, tailored to the athlete’s injury and sport.
- Development of a tailored rehabilitation program in collaboration with the injured athlete, the treating sports physicians, the coaches and the strength & conditioning coach.
- Rehabilitation of acute and overload injuries by means of exercise, manual and soft tissue therapy.
- Planning of regular re-evaluations to monitor and supervise the rehabilitation progression and the return to sport/performance.
- Coordination between and communication with the relevant stakeholders in the care process by means of pluridisciplinary meetings. The aim is to optimally guide the athlete through the different phases of rehabilitation (up to his/her return to performance).
- Monitoring of training volume and intensity through the different rehabilitation phases and during return to sport/performance and signaling of potential injury risk factors.
- Development of secondary prevention programs tailored to the sports injury and the athlete’s sport, in collaboration with all relevant stakeholders.
- Realisation of regular musculoskeletal, sport and discipline specific evaluations (‘Medico sportif’). These functional evaluations are adapted to the injuries in the different sports, but also to the athlete’s previous or current injuries.
- Development of primary and secondary prevention programs based on the periodic functional evaluations and the demands of the sport and discipline, in collaboration with the athlete, coaches and the strength & conditioning coach.
- Development of suited recovery strategies for the athlete.
3. Summary of available evaluation tools
- Isokinetic & isometric strength tests
- Power and explosiveness measurements
- 2D motion analysis
- Mobility, flexibility & balance tests
- Hand-eye coordination tests
- Muscle endurance testing